Purple potato bites with horseradish creme fraiche and caviar – bold colors and big flavors packed into a small, delicious morsel – the perfect starter for your holiday dinner or a cocktail party.
Great things come in small bites, and in this case – purple packaging. With their festive look, striking color and bold flavor, these little purple potato bites are a terrific party starter, and a sure win as a pre-Thanksgiving dinner snack!
I like the shocking dark, purplish-blue color of these potatoes, and it’s the perfect backdrop for the shiny, delicate, black caviar pearls, sitting atop a dollop of creme fraiche, and sprinkled with fresh greens. If you can’t find purple potatoes, you can still make these using regular baby potatoes, without affecting the taste one bit. The presentation will suffer just a little, but if you keep the greens plenty, it will look awesome.
I flavored tangy creme fraiche with pungent horseradish, lots of black pepper, fresh dill and chives. Sour cream can be substituted here in place of creme fraiche. Keep the cream cold, and serve on top of slightly warm potatoes for a nice contrast. I used tiny black lumpfish caviar and its mild fishy flavor goes perfectly with the spicy cream.
It’s an elegant and easy appetizer, it’s delicious and great for a cocktail party, with some champagne on the side.
Here are some more holiday appetizer ideas:
- ½ lbs purple potatoes (or regular baby potatoes)
- ½ cup creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 Tbs chopped dill
- 2 Tbs prepared horseradish
- black pepper
- black caviar
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add plenty of salt, and the whole, unpeeled potatoes. Reduce heat, and cook until potatoes are fork tender (20-25 min)
- Drain the potatoes and let cool, before peeling.
- Mix the creme fraiche with the chives, dill, horseradish, black pepper and salt.
- Cut potatoes in ¼ inch thick slices corss-wise (if bigger), or lengthwise in half (if smaller).
- Top each potato slice with a dollop of creme fraiche, and add about ½ tsp of caviar on top.
- Sprinkle chopped chives, and dill on top, coarse black pepper, salt and serve.