Celery root and smoked salmon gratin – in this creamy dish, aromatic celery root pairs beautifully with smoked fish, red onions and dill-flavored crème fraîche for a quick and easy dinner.
I have a quick and easy recipe for you today, and yet something that will come out looking, and tasting like a fancy elaborate dish. It’s a simple gratin made with just a few ingredients, and although they may not be your everyday kitchen staples, with a little prep in advance, you can put this together in no time.
Traditionally gratin is made with potatoes, but I always like to avoid complex starches if possible, so in this recipe I’m using celery root. It mimics potato texture and to some extent taste, but it’s more flavorful and aromatic than potatoes, and has almost three times less calories. More importantly than the calories though, is the celery root’s delicate fragrance that complements the smoked fish beautifully here and makes this dish far more intriguing and delicious.
Since celery root needs a deeper peel than other root veggies, to get rid of the dirt in all those crevices, you may end up losing 1/4 of its initial weight in the process. To be on the safe side, get two celery root heads, especially if you are making this for more than 4 people.
Enjoy with a glass of chilled white wine!
- 2 medium celery roots
- 8 oz smoked salmon
- 1 red onion
- 4 Tbs fresh dill, chopped
- 10 oz creme fraiche (sour cream)
- black pepper, salt
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 Tbs melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Peel the celery root and cut in half, then slice into thin, bite-size pieces (approximately ⅛-inch thick).
- Place the sliced celery in the boiling water, add a squeeze of lemon juice, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Cut the red onion into thin rings.
- Lightly brush the bottom of a gratin dish with melted butter.
- Arrange the celery root slices in a single layer.
- Place thin slices of the smoked salmon on top, followed by onion rings, and fresh dill.
- Repeat with one more layer of celery root, fish, onion, and dill.
- Mix the creme fraiche with salt and black pepper, and pour over the gratin.
- Sprinkle more fresh dill on top, and bake for 20 minutes.